Monday, January 12, 2009

12 > 10

For my twelfth post, I want to adress a flaw in your lives that you've probably never evan noticed, and you probably didn't even realize there were alternatives.

Yes, I'm talking about ten.

We've been taught (indoctrinated) since birth that counting goes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and then we move over to the tens' place. That's just how counting works, no alternatives. I'm sure you're aware by now of binary and hexadecimal? Dozenal is the same except you roll over at, you guessed it, a dozen.

You are probably more familiar with "duodecimal". Most dozenalists (including myself), however, despise this term because of its decimalist bias.

The reasons to support the dozenal numeral system are many, but I will point out the main thing going for it.

Factors

Twelve is the smallest supercomposite natural number out there. This means it's great for fractional numbers. Below is a table of fractions in dozenal and decimal from Wikipedia

Okay, the table won't post right. Here's a link to the section it's in. I'll wait.

...

You can see the benifit, can't you? In fact, ten is one of the worst bases factor-wise, save maybe nine or a prime.

For more reasons to support dozenal, research the Dozenal Society of America or the Dozenal Society of Great Britain. Or I could just link to them. I think I'll do that.

America: http://www.dozenal.org/

Britain: http://www.dozenalsociety.org.uk/index.php

Please promote dozenalism and help fix this rediculous problem.

No comments: